Day 2: The SunThe Sun is the perfect follow up to a day reviewing the stars considering it is a giant star! This fun lesson includes a video that gives a brief overview of all the strengths of the sun, and then activity that teaches our children how protection from it works.
The Sun, a giant star that gives us energy, warmth, the seasons, moon phases, it’s work is endless! While it brings us so much good there are safety measures we must take when standing out in it.
We must never look directly at the sun and we should always wear sunscreen. Today’s activity gives us insight on just how sunscreen protects us.
The Activity: Soaking Up The SunSupplies:
- Construction Paper
- Fold a piece of construction paper in half, ‘like a taco’.
- Spray or spread sunscreen on child’s hand and have them firmly and carefully place their hand on the paper and pull away.
- Leave it out in direct sunlight for an hour or two.
- Be sure the paper remains folded with the sunscreen side facing up.
- When finished bring it inside.
- What did the sunlight do to the paper?
- Unfold and compare the two sides of the paper.
- Was the sunscreen effective?